Should I let my dog drink water from a puddle?

Is it safe for a dog to drink water from a puddle?Pet Sitter Fort Lauderdale dog drink water from a puddle.

How safe is it for you dog to drink water from a puddle? You and Fido are out for a walk and you come upon a puddle of standing water and Fido bends down to take a drink. Ask yourself should I let my dog drink water from a puddle? What if there was something in that puddle of water that could make him ill or even kills him. Would you still let your dog drink water from a puddle?
Antifreeze often leaks out of a car and is extremely poisonous. It has a sweet taste and dogs will not hesitate to consume it. Approximately 3 tablespoons could be lethal for a 22 pound dog. Antifreeze poisoning can attack the nervous system and cause kidney failure and can be fatal if not treated within 4 to 8 hours after consumption. Pets that have ingested antifreeze may start to act drunk as quickly as thirty minutes after ingestion.

Ethylene glycol toxicosis is a type of poisoning that occurs after ingestion of antifreeze or other fluids containing the ingredient ethylene glycol. Potential sources of ethylene glycol in the environment include antifreeze, the most common source of ethylene glycol poisoning, air-conditioning coolants and brake fluid.

Unfortunately, many owners do not realize that their pet has consumed ethylene glycol and don’t become aware of the problem until the pet shows non-specific symptoms of kidney failure like loss of appetite, lethargy and vomiting two to three days later. Treatment is often futile after severe kidney failure has developed.

If you think your dog has been poisoned treatment should be started as soon as possible. If treated promptly and appropriately, pets that have consumed ethylene glycol will not develop kidney failure and have a good chance of survival.

Specific signs to watch for:

  •  Nausea
  • Vomiting
  • Increased thirst
  • Lethargy
  • Lapsing into coma

Rainy season is just around the corner in South Florida. Be sure to think before letting your dog drink water from a puddle! It is wise to carry a collapsible bowl and a bottle of fresh water especially in the heat of summer.

Be sure to check out this related article on antifreeze poisoning.

Speak Your Mind


Call Now Button